If you’re struggling to find a good vegan gravy, look no further. My mushroom & sage gravy is full of umami thanks to the sautéed crimini mushrooms in vegan butter accompanied by the sake is absolutely divine. No meat drippings needed in this gravy! You can try to replace the alcohol with a white wine vinegar (start with an oz at a time), but try to stick to the ingredients I listed because the alcohol makes a huge difference. I used sake instead of Sauvignon Blanc because I didn’t have any at the time, but it worked perfectly. Enjoy the gravy with mashed potatoes, vegetables, bread, & more!Print
- 2.5 oz sake or your favorite white wine
- 9 oz water
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 10 crimini or baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 10 sage leaves, leave 2-3 to roughly chop to top the gravy
- 1 Tbsp oat flour or all-purpose whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp peppercorn, freshly grated
- In a medium sauce pan, add the vegan butter & let it melt on medium high heat. When completely melted, add the sage. After 2-3 minutes when the sage has infused its flavor into the butter, add the mushrooms.
- Sautée the mushrooms for about 3 minutes or until the mushrooms have softened. Meanwhile, add the oat flour to a small mixing bowl & mix with the sake & water. Whisk or mix the flour into the liquid until completely dissolved. Add the mixture to the sauce pan.
- Continuing to stir the gravy, cook until thickens. Add peppercorns & salt to taste. Remove from heat when gravy arrives at your desired consistency (if you’d like it thicker, add more flour in a mixing bowl with some sake, mix well, & add it; add more water to the saucepan if you’d like it runnier). Top with roughly chopped sage leaves.
- Feel free to add more sage or various types of mushrooms. This recipe is perfect for mushroom fans alike & still absolutely delicious to those don’t even like mushrooms (because we all know many mushroom haters who hate mushrooms due to their obnoxious obsession over “strange” textures).
- Category: Dips & Sauces
- Cuisine: New American