This deliciously simple soup recipe will help you through cold winters or a bad cold. The usage of sweet potato, tomatoes, ginger, & turmeric mix very well. It’s a great soup to serve for a dinner party & can be quite filling. Don’t leave out the lime! It really pulls the flavors all together.Print
- 3 tsp coriander
- 1 Tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 Tbsp turmeric
- 1–2 red chilies
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4–5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled & chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, peeled & thinly sliced into 1 inch strips
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, halved lengthwise, & sliced into half inch pieces
- 4 Roma, heirloom, or vine-ripened tomatoes, roughly chopped in large 1 inch chunks
- 2 Tbsp fresh tomato paste
- 8–10 cups vegetable broth
- salt to taste
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1. In a medium soup pot on medium high heat, dry roast the coriander, mustard seeds, turmeric, & red chilies until aromatic. Mustard seeds do tend to pop, so be careful.
- 2. Add the olive oil, garlic, carrots, ginger, & sweet potato to sauté until carrots become tender.
- 3. Add tomatoes & tomato paste. Mix until tomatoes become tender & tomato paste is thoroughly mixed. Add broth & bring to a boil.
- 4. When the soup boils, turn down the heat & simmer until sweet potatoes are soft. Salt to taste.
- 5. When the soup is salted to your liking, add spinach & cook until lightly wilted.
- 6. Serve immediately & top each serving with the juice from a wedge of lime.
- The original recipe called for canned tomatoes, but because I’ve just recently learned that using canned tomatoes requires reconsideration due to its acidity affecting the chemical makeup of the can, I highly recommend using fresh tomatoes & tomato paste from a glass jar. You can find fresh tomato paste in a jar at Whole Foods or at your local grocery store. If you can’t find it, try looking for it online.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 140
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 2033
- Fat: 6
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 20
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 0