One of my favorite fruits is mango & one of my favorite boba teas is none other than a mango black tea! Since I normally avoid ordering smoothies due to the high sugar content, I felt compelled to make a mango smoothie recipe featuring all natural fructose from the mango & a bit of sweetness from the boba. Whether you choose to sweeten the boba with a syrup, sugar, or honey, know that the pearls really absorb the sweetness quite well. Make sure to cover the boba when you set it aside to keep the insects at bay. Additionally, this recipe features soft tofu to add a nice bit of protein to the smoothie. You can always forego the tofu & substitute it with 1/4 cup of coconut milk. You can use either green or black tea depending on how much caffeine you’re looking for.Print
- 1 ripened mango, sliced into chunks
- 1 cup silken tofu
- 1/2 cup iced black tea or mango black tea
- 1/4 cup large tapioca pearls
- 3 Tbsp coconut sugar or honey
- 3 cups water
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Once the water is boiling, add the tapioca pearls & stir to loosen the pearls if they were previously attached to one another.
- Meanwhile, toss the mango, tofu, & green tea in a blender. Blend until smooth & place into the refrigerator to keep it cold.
- Place a lid over the saucepan & bring the water down to a simmer on low heat. Stir occasionally for about 15 minutes or until the tapioca pearls all sink to the bottom, the water turns a murky brown color, & they are soft, yet chewy.
- Remove the tapioca pearls from the saucepan by draining into a strainer, rinsing quickly with water. Place the tapioca pearls into a bowl & add the sweetener. Allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes or until the pearls have absorbed the sweetness.
- Scoop some of the tapioca pearls, also known as boba, into a tall glass & then the mango smoothie. Enjoy!
- If you have boba left over, pop it into the fridge to keep it from spoiling. Stick it into the microwave for about 15-20 seconds on high heat to enjoy again the following day.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 288
- Sugar: 43
- Sodium: 20
- Fat: 3
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 63
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: mango, tea, black tea, smoothie, boba, bubble tea, vegetarian, vegan, drinks, beverages, recipes, tropical fruits, fruits