Rosemary & Garlic Potato Rolls
These fluffy pillows of warm deliciousness are a great addition to any Thanksgiving dinner, dinner party, or however you want to enjoy them. I won’t judge you. My recipe is vegan, but if you can use dairy products for added richness if you’re not vegan.
This is a very time consuming recipe if you don’t already have some mashed potatoes at the ready. However, I have included instructions on how to make delicious rosemary & garlic mashed potatoes anyway. If you have some mashed potatoes on hand, then re-heat it & add rosemary & garlic to it.Print
Rosemary & Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 1 cup fingerling potatoes, washed & quartered into cubes (peeled if desired)
- 6 cups water
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter or canola, sunflower, or safflower oil
- 1/2 cup blonde or pale ale beer or white wine
- 1/2 cup milk substitute (almond, oat, soy, cashew, etc)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp rosemary, removed from stems & roughly chopped
- 1 cup milk substitute (almond, oat, soy, cashew, etc)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 3 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1 Tbsp instant yeast
- 4 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 cup garlic mashed potatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp rosemary, roughly chopped
Make Mashed Potatoes
- Fill a medium-sized stockpot with 6 cups of water & salt. Bring water to a boil on high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-high & slowly add potatoes into boiling water. Cook for about 20-40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender enough to be mashed.
- Once cooked, remove stockpot from heat. With a colander, carefully dump the contents over your sink, saving 1 cup of the salted potato water. Set aside the potato water.
- Return stockpot to stove & turn the heat up to medium & melt the butter.
- Once butter is melted, add garlic, pepper, & 1 Tbsp of rosemary. Sauté for 2 minutes or until the garlic is browned.
- Add potatoes to the stockpot & add beer. Carefully mash the potatoes with a large wooden or silicon spoon or with a potato masher.
- Slowly stir in milk into the potatoes & continue to mash until texture is smooth. Cook for about 5-10 minutes or until the potatoes have absorbed most of the liquid & are no longer runny.
- Add rosemary & salt to taste. Remove from heat & set aside to cool.
Make the Rolls
- Preheat oven to 400ºF & grease or line a 9″ square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Heat up milk, honey, & 1 Tbsp vegan butter in the microwave for about 30-45 seconds. It shouldn’t exceed 110ºF! Add mixture to a standing mixer’s bowl & mix well. Mix in yeast & allow to sit for 10 minutes until foamy.
- Use the dough hook to mix in flour, mashed potatoes, & salt on the lowest setting for a few minutes until the dough is properly combined. When the dough is ready, it should start pulling away from the sides of the bowl. If it’s still sticking to the sides of the bowl, add a tablespoon of flour at a time until it doesn’t.
- When the dough is still slightly sticky, but mostly attached to the dough hook, increase the speed of your stand mixer to medium-low for about 5 minutes. You can also knead the dough by hand for about 10 minutes if you prefer.
- Remove the mixing bowl from the stand mixer & shape the dough into a ball. It should easily be shaped in a smooth ball if it is kneaded well. Place the dough ball back into the mixing bowl & place a tea towel over the bowl. Allow to rise for 20 minutes or until it doubles in size.
- Once it doubles in size, pour out the dough onto a clean, floured nonporous surface. Divide the dough into 16 equally sized balls. It helps to fold the seam in & roll the dough to a ball shape. Place each dough ball in your square pan with the seam side down. Cover the pan with the same tea towel & allow to rise for another 20 minutes in a warm area.
- Heat up the remainder of the vegan butter & add in rosemary. Brush each risen dough ball with the butter mixture. Top with salt & pepper if desired.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the tops are golden & the inside is cooked through. Serve with butter or cranberry jam!
- Category: Breads & Pastries
- Method: Boiled, Baked
- Cuisine: New American
Keywords: vegan, vegetarian, rosemary, garlic, mashed potatoes, rolls, bread, recipes, new american, thanksgiving sides